I had a great visit in Iten yesterday. Fortunately there was an open seat available in a private van going to Iten so I didn't have to take a matatu. I was able to secure an exam room at the local hospital for a sports medicine specialty clinic and will hopefully have some physical therapy space for Pam too. I had lunch with Renato Canova and 2 other Kenyan running coaches. The meeting with Canova was not scheduled and definitely was an answer to prayer. He is "the" coach in Iten and is internationally known for his coaching methods for middle and long distance runners. He has coached many World champions and Olympic medalist. He is Italian and also an Irish priest which makes for a very thick accent. I could barely understand him. I sat next to him as he questioned my knowledge and motives. He was harsh and abrasive but I think I passed the test. After lunch he took me to see the marathon world record holder who has an injured knee. He kept a close eye on me during my exam and conversation with Dennis Kimetto, (he is the world record holder, 2:03 marathon in case you didn't catch it the first time). Dennis was grateful for my help and Canova even let his guard down for a moment, (I think he likes me now??).
On the way home I had to take a matatu, which amounts to a 1 hour roller coaster ride. I brought along medicine for motion sickness but it was too late by the time I remembered to take it. We took off like we were in a drag race and stopped suddenly for cows, goats, sheep and occasionally people. I stuck my head out the window to see who we were racing and I was nearly clipped by a matatu heading the other direction. We weaved back and forth from lane to lane, (except for the 10 km on the bumpy dirt road which only added to the ambiance), and around speed bumps without slowing down. I was on the verge of vomiting at any moment. Ten minutes into the ride I was sweating through my clothes and I could see my face in the rear view mirror. I was even more pale than your average white man in Kenya. My appearance must have been alarming to them so they drove even faster. I made it through with my lunch intact but it took several hours to recover.
Thank you for your prayers. Pray that this will be an opportunity to minister to coaches, athletes, and advance His Kingdom.
Back to Iten on Thursday with Pam to treat injured runners and meet with more coaches. And another matatu ride too. I will take pictures. Some of my running friends want proof.
Love you all,
Jeremy
praying for this amazing opportunity God is opening up. (loved the story of the matatu!)
ReplyDeleteHang on Jeremy! Hang on to Pam, too!! Prayers. Cindy
ReplyDeleteYour word pictures are so graphic!!! Pop those pills next time... FIRST and early.
ReplyDeleteBlessings on all your work with the greatest among you and the very least.
love you so.
aunt margie