A brief update on sports medicine in Iten. Sorry but no pictures this time either. I had planned on it but we were very busy. Pam Scott, a physical therapist who works with me at Carle, joined me for the trip. We took a matatu to Iten but a much different outcome. I asked the driver to go slow and it was very pleasant trip. I did premedicate this time but it wasn't needed.
We arrived early at Iten District Hospital to make sure we were organized for patients to come. We planned to start clinic at 1:00 and have an informational meeting with coaches, physios, and athletes to assess their needs. I expected a few patients at 1:00 because some coaches had called me about athletes they were bringing to the clinic. We waited for almost 1 hour and no one showed up. I wondered if this would be a flop. Maybe God intended for me to be focused elsewhere. I admit to some guilt for spending time away from Kapsowar, where there is so much need. Sports medicine seems to be a low priority when some are just trying to survive. We prayed asking for guidance and even reassurance that this is a work that He would have us do through His power. He has provided the connections and opened doors from our trip last year through this past week. This was not something I could have done on my own.
A few minutes later 2 athletes arrived and another coach called asking where he could find us. We took care of the athletes who had fairly simple injuries but no one to give an accurate diagnosis or prescribe appropriate treatment. Pam was especially helpful giving hands on treatment and teaching home exercise programs so they could take care of these injuries themselves. The physiotherapists here are basically massage therapists and sometimes cause harm with their treatments. The basics we take for granted are needed at every level here.
By the time we were done with patients, (we saw 5 patients!), the coaches and others had gathered to meet with us. We had about 15 people come for the meeting, which was more than I expected. They shared their concerns with us. Many of the athletes including some elite level athletes are poor farmers. Only the very few elite runners have resources to access health care. Most do not have any insurance or money to pay cash. There are many problems but one major issue is there is no trusted point of contact when an athlete is injured or sick. Most go to a local dispensary for treatment that may or may not be helpful. Basically they don't know where to go for help. We can help a lot with education and awareness. We hope to establish a group of sports medicine trained physicians and therapists to come to Iten on a monthly basis throughout the year. Possibly even remote consultation via Skype. Will wait to see how God leads us. The coaches and athletes are very happy to have someone who cares. I asked for their patience as this will be a process.
We will return to Iten next week. We have made a contact with a Canadian runner who ran cross country at the Univ of Louisville. She is a christian and is anxious to help us. She is part of the running community and an elite runner so her knowledge and connections will be very helpful. This another example of God's work in this. Overall a very good day and multiple answers to prayer. More pictures later...I promise.
Jeremy
It is neat to see how God has been answering prayer. Very encouraging and good for all of us at home to hear how everything is coming into place even if sometimes it is little by little.
ReplyDelete