Thursday, June 29, 2017

Humility

Recently I have been pondering the concept of humility. I have come to understand that next to love this Christian virtue is pivotal to being able to seek and serve Christ as our new nature should. Here in this environment I have seen this in operation and it has been a challenge and an example for us, as we seek to grew "in Christ." The best definition I have heard for humility is: "To serve others without caring whether it is noticed or not!"
Here in Kapsowar the medical staff works daily to serve the needs of the sick who present themselves to the hospital. They do it not based upon quotas, reviews and evaluations, rewards of praise or money, or even patient acknowledgement. I find no flavor at all of "one-upmanship" or even the need to tell another of their days activities - as if they were our human accomplishments. Their praise comes from the Lord, creatively, personal and in just sufficient amount to empower them to continue this work with joy and peace. Their praise does not come from man. See John 12:42-43 and Galatians 1:10. What a sense of freedom and peace this allows one to know!
Each person is given just what they need each day to do what God's will is for them that day; like manna that God gave the Israelites as they trusted and obeyed Him in the wilderness. Yet, like them, there is no need for excess and we are not to seek to build up our supply so as to not need or rely upon God, and only God, for both provision and encouragement. See Exodus 16:13-19 (especially 18). I suspect growing in the virtue of humility requires us to be in a position that strips us of self and in an environment that deprioritizes self accomplishments.
Galatians 3: "Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
-David




No comments:

Post a Comment